2.02.2007

JeffJarvis on Oldstream Media Fear :: Society 2.1

Earlier this week I talked about how folks in the movie business justifiably find personal media frightening. Jeff Jarvis writes in his Buzz Machine blog:

"...The realization that the internet is really the means for us to gang up on them hasn’t fully dawned on them yet. In that sense, I’ll bet that my new Davos pal Michael Dell is ahead of the rest, for he faced the gang, the coalescing critical mass of connections that the internet enabled.

"So let them think that interactivity and social networks are ways for us to amuse ourselves while they still wield the power. They will wake up one day and realize they no longer own the world and can no longer look down at it from the top of the mountain. See Alan Rusbridger on one of the Davos media sessions, where the head of what can still be called the most powerful journalistic voice in the world looked up to find himself facing a just-out-of-college kid who reportedly turned down $1.5 billion for his company and who understands this new world in his soul; it’s not the money that should make the moguls jealous but that understanding. Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook explained to the media moguls that the job of media — and, for that matter, government, business, and technology — is to bring people together to find distributed and elegant solutions to their problems. That is not web 3.0. That’s society 2.1. And we’ve only just begun."

If big media - oldstream media - begins this transition in fear, the means and ends won't be pretty. Read your history, media moguls, and embrace the future rather than fight it. The mp3 floated down the Faux Press RSS pipe today is the introduction to Lawrence Lessig's "Free Culture", a book read chapter-by-chapter in its entirety by a host of net geeks and made available free, HERE. Download a pdf of the book - also free - HERE.

The introduction to the tome herewith transmitted is read by Andrew Dubber.

How may I say this? Control. Power. Hierarchy. Competition. Bah.

Cooperation is an equally successful strategy for success, and it leaves neither dead bodies nor broken spirits in its wake.

Tags:

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I was really gripped by this reading. He articulates it all so beautifully and so simply - I can already think of people that I want to send this to, including my MP, and my friends at the BBC who I am sure don't understand these kind of complexities. I don't understand so much of it either, but I'm trying hard to get to grips with it because it feels important. So thanks a million for introducing me to what sounds like it's going to be an enlightening listen/read. (and what a great thing these guys have done)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Rupert. Delighted you are moved to pass it along.

    This chapter caused me to fall in intellectual love with Professor Lessig. It haunts, enlivens, and purposes me.

    ReplyDelete

Whoa. Hey. Hi. Talk to me.