8.13.2006

Road Node 101 :: Off-the-Grid Geek Camp



Scoble hosted a small bus-load-worth of geeks in Montana for four days.

I present the salient visual details: a collection of geek eyes.

One reason I went to Off-the-Grid Geek Camp was because I'd seen how Robert and his son, Patrick (who composed the music for this piece), were together as a team at Vloggercon. In the middle of a chaos of folks vying for Robert's attention, Patrick was clearly the focus of his awareness, yet the rest also were served . Was further impressed by the fact that Robert's cell phone number is prominently displayed on his blogsite.

A brave act in an age of fear and distrust.

Net/net: It's a shitload more safe in the world than folks would have us believe.

Thanks for reminding us to be brave, Robert, even in small ways.




Play Quicktime Version




Tags:

5 comments:

  1. I'm no robert scoble, but I couldn't imagine putting my cell phone number on my website.

    This somewhat relates to my second question. How in the world did he keep this event to a manageable number of people? I've always wondered about the economics of accessibility. How does one keep the signal to noise ratio high? Is being a geek enough to make sure that the only people who call you, email you, or come to your camp are the real deal with something to say?

    I'm really fond of this notion that the world could be so open and balanced. So simple and manageable and human. This sort of disintermediation is my obsession with media... email, IM, blogs, photoblogs, podcasts... it's really a remarkable world about architecting and creating the space and time for such activity... and though it does come from real world architectural influence I rarely think about the real world implications. I find the concept fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Jan.

    You caught a scent of the genuine warmth and fun we experienced. What a pleasure and a privilege to be there with you.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Michael Meiser - Scoble says his cell phone signal-to-noise is surprisingly acceptable. I'm guessing we think the world is a lot more dangerous place than it actually is and that the closing of avenues for connection is for the most part unfounded. I'm putting my cell # up soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Aaron - the pleasure was also mine in meeting you and your amazing family. Hope to see you all in Portland in due course :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, thanks for posting this. Definitely a reminder of the personal connections made. When's the next OffTheGrid? :)

    ReplyDelete

Whoa. Hey. Hi. Talk to me.