1.20.2008

Love in a World of Capitalism :: From PRX

In anticipation of Valentine's Day, an hour contemplating the nature of love in the 21st Century from PRX.

Wish they'd set their works 'free' over there at PRX, but no, you'll have to go to their page and play it there.

Realize I'm going to give this a second listen 'cause I've been thinking about love as tool for a while. Wondering what love might be if left to its own devices.

It's easy to see why 'love' and commitment exist.

Less easy to see why and how those things might exist differently.

Mentioned in the podcast is this Gregory Corso poem "Marriage". From the end of that poem:



O but what about love? I forget love
not that I am incapable of love
It's just that I see love as odd as wearing shoes-
I never wanted to marry a girl who was like my mother
And Ingrid Bergman was always impossible
And there's maybe a girl now but she's already married
And I don't like men and-
But there's got to be somebody!
Because what if I'm 60 years old and not married,
all alone in a furnished room with pee stains on my underwear
and everybody else is married! All the universe married but me!

Ah, yet well I know that were a woman possible as I am possible
then marriage would be possible-
Like SHE in her lonely alien gaud waiting her Egyptian lover
so i wait-bereft of 2,000 years and the bath of life.

[source]

Faux Press Line :: Do Not Cross
Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whoa. Hey. Hi. Talk to me.