8.02.2005

Kites: a Meditation on Romantic Love



The "World's Longest Open Love Letter" Summer 2000 Series of Artifact Posters was constructed of crackling yellow paper, red cotton string, and wire, with language. The series was dedicated to / inspired by a man and a woman of my acquaintance who loved one another for fifty years without expressing their love physically.

The incredible love in the woman's eyes as she told me the story of the kite that hung from her living room ceiling for forty years made me weep. She told of how years before she and the man had purchased twin kites while traveling together in China and how - like hers - his kite still hung in his apartment.

I had the great privilege of seeing both their kites and their eyes.

Music excerpted from Patty Griffin's tune "Kite Song" from her album "Impossible Dream".

[Quicktime]



Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whoa. Hey. Hi. Talk to me.